1. Tell us about your background and what made you gravitate towards the private markets?
Long story but I will keep it brief… I was reviewing my portfolio after turning 50 and pondering retirement when I discovered I was woefully short and needed to focus on increasing my portfolio. Upon research I discovered the exempt market and how it works. I was in awe as I can actually understand these types of investments (unlike mutual funds or public markets). I attended a Pinnacle in person function and not only decided to invest but also pondered about getting my license and making a career change.
2. What are some of the biggest changes you have seen since you started?
Compliance seems to be growing at a faster pace than I can sell which is a good thing with more oversight. In certain cases, clients may question some of the rules and regulations that have been introduced recently, which opens a conversation on purpose for the changes and the evolution of client protection.
3. What is the one thing you want someone unfamiliar with this space to know?
Excellent question… get to know this space!!! Ask questions, be curious, compare with other investment opportunities, learn what exactly the exempt market is.
4. What are your ‘go to’ features that you look for when completing KYP on a given product for suitability consideration?
a) Cost of Capital
c) Business Plan
I love to understand all products on our shelf because all my clients have different needs and just because one fund does not suit me, it could very well be a perfect fit for my client. A big go to feature for me is to sit with the owner/CEO/originator of the fund to see who they are and their accomplishments and goals for the fund (and I mean in person as I like to see how they respond).
5. Share something interesting about yourself that most people don’t know.
I was a budding rock star back in school with a band formed with friends. I played piano. The band sucked and did not go anywhere.